Dogs and Chocolate
Death by Chocolate
The verdict is out... A simple act of kindness, can kill your beloved dog.
Dogs and Chocolate do not go together unlike the proverbial burger and
Unfortunately dogs love sweet things just like us humans. We, however,
won't have an early death from eating chocolate.
The trick here is not to let your innocent friend get the taste of chocolate as
it is an addictive flavour and, now we know, can also be deadly.
Your toddler may easily feed your beloved pet his birthday cake, not a good idea for
your dog's waistline, but it won't kill him as the chocolate that causes the big
problem is not present in large quantities in cakes or cookies.
Do not form the habit by spoiling your dog with the incorrect snacks. You would probably be more concerned
about the added weight your little dog love may incur, this is very important to their general health, as it could also lead to diabetic conditions, but the short term affect of possible instant death is much more critical.
Just as you would not allow your pet near deadly
substances such as rat poison nor should you allow your dog any treat containing chocolate. Christmas presents, lying innocently under the Christmas tree, and
happily snacked on by an inquisitive dog, is one of the most reported incidents of dogs and chocolate... needing emergency treatment.
Small dog breeds, are notoriously around their human companions, thereby, usually expecting treats on a fairly regular basis. They would have possibly have no
problem getting onto the dinner table and helping themselves to whatever nice tasting treat is left lying around. If you love your beloved dog, you will take this very message very seriously. This may seem the least innocent of all
dog treats but the ingredients Theobromine and caffiene can cause havoc in your dogs physiology.
All types of dogs are susceptible to this very natural but potentially deadly
substance. A larger dog would have to ingest more of the delicious chocolate to cause serious harm, and by the same token small dog breeds may very easily overdose on minute quantities of
the deadly Theobromine ingredient which is heavily disguised in the seemingly innocent chocolate.
The darker the chocolate the more deadly, but
that does mean that a milk or white chocolate is permissible. It is simply
safer to ensure that the tempting chocolate is kept out of harms way.
Symptoms generally are:
- Excitement or trembling
- Lack of co-ordination
- Rarely, Coma
Should you suspect that your pet has consumed any quantity of chocolate, DO
NOT WAIT FOR ANY SYMPTOMS, get to the vet as soon as possible. Induced vomiting will be required or other medical treatments which your vet can administer.
In extreme cases and should you not be able to get to your vet quickly, you can use Hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.
Mix three % hydrogen peroxide to water (in other words 3 parts for every 10 parts of water. You need to get this down your dogs gullet every 10 -
15 minutes. 2 teaspoons for a small dog breeds, up to 4 tablespoons for large dog breeds. Continue this until your little angel has vomited.
Ideally though you should get veterinarian assistance as this truly is
life or death when your dog displays any of the
Some good news though, recovered pets, suffer no after affects..
Dogs and Chocolate - No Laughing Matter
Dogs and Chocolate to
to About Small Dog Breeds Home
Other articles on
nutrition for your dog:
Dog Nutrition - Building Blocks for Health
Dogs Diet - The
Obese Dog -
Less is Better
Dogs Chocolate - "Play Play" Chocolate for Dogs